Have you ever had one of those weeks when time seems to be going really slowly, but is flying by at the same time? Well, that’s been me this week. The days have seemed super long, but here we are, and it’s Thursday. Almost to the weekend! Since time has been such an issue for me this week, I decided to share some interesting facts about the subject that I thought were super cool (and it was totally NOT inspired by me procrastinating working on a paper by looking at one of those boredom websites with really weird fun facts that no one really needs to know….).
- When the second hand on your clock appears to take longer than a second to tick, it’s your own brain working against you.
Studies about brain imagery have shown that our perception of time stretches backwards when our eyes shift from one point to another. Our brains “fill in the gap,” creating the illusion of a drawn-out second. That’s why it sometimes seems that the second hand just jumped back.
- The average person falls asleep in 7 minutes.
This might be a shock to those of you who have a hard time falling asleep, but on average, it takes a human about 7 minutes to fall into a steady sleep cycle.
- Halley’s Comet passes the Earth every 76 years.
The next time it will pass by us will be in 2062.
- There are 31,536,000 seconds in a year
That’s 525,600 minutes. And now all the musical theatre nerds are humming a certain song in their heads.
- The longest time a person has been in a coma is 37 years.
I guess they aren’t counting Captain America’s 70 years as a Cap-sicle.
- A lion eats once every 3 to 4 days.
It probably helps that they spend about 20 hours a day sleeping/lounging around Africa.
- The human body creates 2,500,000 new red blood cells every SECOND.
Every second guys.
- It takes 22 months for a elephant to develop from a zygote to a full grown infant.
Nine months doesn’t sound so bad now does it?
- In one year, light will travel a distance of 5.86 trillion miles, which is 240 million times around Earth.
Albert Einstein wrote a series of papers in 1905 that use this concept of light years as a main focus.
- The longest running sci-fi television show is “Doctor Who”.
Come on, I couldn’t not put in a Doctor Who fact 😛
If you know any other time facts, post them in the comments below! I’d love to read them! Have a great rest of your week, folks!
Until Next Time,